A lot of people have been waiting for this blog.. so here it is.
We are going to talk about Itchy Skin. If you have ever had a pet that suffers with it you will know first hand that it drives your pet absolutely bonkers! Constant scratching, rubbing against things, red,inflamed and sometimes even stinky skin. In more severe cases the pet can experience hair loss, ear and eye infections. This can affect their mood and energy levels significantly.
It’s awful watching your pet itch and scratch and chew their paws and be in constant discomfort.
As we move into the warmer months skin conditions really begin to kick off. Its important to get on top of it quick smart! Whilst every case is different, one things for sure with skin conditions – the immune system is struggling and it can be unbearable for the pet.
Below is a list of a few things to consider if your pet is suffering from Itchy Scratchy skin.
- FLEAS AND OTHER PARASITES – So first lets discuss a common reason for itching… fleas and parasites. Its good to eliminate this as a cause before moving onto other treatments. Nexgard Spectra is a good one because it covers everything in one treatment.
- ENVIRONMENT- Secondly, is environment. Is the area your pet sleeps in well ventilated? Do they sleep on a raised bed where air can circulate underneath? You can’t beat a Snooza bed when it comes to raised beds, top quality, sturdy and come with great guarantees. If only they made beds for humans… Ok moving along to our next point…When was the last time their bedding and Sleeping area was cleaned?. Dust and allergens can build up quickly and if you have ever had the misfortune of sand in your bed well…. you get the idea. Itchy and annoying and avoidable. A mistake that’s often made (unknowingly, of course) is washing the bedding in regular laundry detergent. This is a big no-no!. Instead wash your pets bedding in a good natural pet shampoo. It’s designed to suit the pH of their skin whereas regular laundry detergent is designed to suit human skin.
- DIET –Thirdly, lets look at diet. Diet plays a crucial role in health and wellbeing so taking care of your pets diet is an absolute must. Many commercial brands are high in grain and fillers and things unnatural to a dog or cat, and this puts pressure on the gut, liver and pancreas leading to problems with the skin. A natural diet or premium dry food is a good start, and lets not forget water, plenty of fresh water to flush those pesky toxins out. Luckily there is a wide range of premium grain free dry foods now available. Our personal favourite is Meals for Mutts/Meows. It’s high quality, affordable and we have seen massive improvements in health for animals with skin problems and food sensitivities on these formulas. Its also made right here in Australia, and yes we love that about it too!
- NATURAL TOPICAL TREATMENTS – Fourthly, if you are treating the skin topically remember to use products that are natural and suitable for pets. Ask questions to the person in store or online or wherever you purchase them. Some products are great at removing infections like yeast and bacteria, but strip the coat of its natural oils leaving the dog with yep, you guessed it – dry and itchy skin. Never be afraid to ask questions about a product you are applying to your pets skin. We love the Natural Animal Solutions range, in particular the sensitive shampoo and the itchyscratch spray.
- GROOMING – The final thing we will discuss is grooming. Are you or your groomer using a natural product to wash your pet in? If your pet has a shedding coat are you brushing regularly and removing shedding hair and dead skin?. Brushing your pet is a great way of bonding with them, but also a great way to stimulate oil glands, increase blood flow and nutrients and keep their skin and coat in tip top condition.
If you have a pet that is suffering please check out the Itchy Skin category of our website. Alternatively, if you have questions you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be more than happy to help.
Stay tuned for our upcoming blog about Nugget!. Nugget came to us with a skin issue and is currently using a number of our Natural Animal Solutions products and premium dry foods. She is making amazing progress. We cant wait to show you the results!